" CRAZY DIETS: Crazy Diet Confession

Wednesday

Crazy Diet Confession

I need to fess up.

I didn't follow my own advice.
I lost my job this year and spent a lot of time on the couch.
Eating.
A lot.
As many of us plagued with excess weight know, some of it comes from being sedentary and a lot from emotional eating.
I eat when I'm sad and depressed. Boatloads.

So I started to feel very yucky, and sadly in this economy when one looks for a job, looking good really helps.

I'm also impatient. My fiance told me how his ex lost over 80 lbs doing low carb. I'm a sucker for him. He was insistent on how well it worked, he agreed to do it with me.

For four months I ate nary a carb. Not a noodle, not a slice of bread. I broke out, I couldn't poop, and I felt even crummier. I lost weight.

Then I just lost it. I couldn't take it anymore. My fiance had long quit the diet and I snuck off to eat some of his sugary cereal. One bowl turned into three.

I didn't put on weight. I felt better.

Slowly I let carbs back into my diet, but good ones, not his crappy cereal. Well, ok, sometimes. I didn't eat any more than I did when I was dieting. I started feeling better. I got my ass off the couch. I no longer felt sluggish. I started to walk. I've lost about 20lbs.

I felt like such an, well, asshole for doing such a crazy diet, completely cutting out carbs that I had to share.

Even diet bloggers fail.

True story.

10 comments:

buy acai said...

interesting article thanks for posting!

Clinton Walker III said...

Many people have misconceptions about eating carbs. The key to losing weight is eating good and avoiding bad carbohydrates.

FS. said...

Good you started to eat carbs again!
A diet without carbs is dangerous, why? because you can suffer bony calcium deficiency, renal damage,fatigue, nausea due to the excess of nitrogen. High-protein and low-carb diets also increase the uric acid levels and can cause gout attacks.
The best thing to do in my opinion is to eat a little of everything, for example, whole daily food should consist of '100' (20% carbs, 20% protein, 20% vitamins and minerals and 20% healthy fat)
Hope this helps ^^

Biggest Loser Trainer said...

Very touching article but the first line 'I didn't follow my own advice' tells more...:)

Mary said...

nice blog

Little Black Car said...

If I don't eat carbs--and I mean "good" carbs, not sweet carbs--it's like none of my food sticks. I don't see how people do the chicken-breast-and-salad thing, because I can eat chicken and salad until I burst and still be tired, hungry, and grouchy. A slice of whole-wheat bread fixes it all. I end up eating less and staying full longer.

I guess everyone's a bit different but I can't do the low-carb thing. I'm all for reducing sweets, etc., but oatmeal in the morning has done as much to reform my eating habits and reduce my caloric intake as anything.

Inflatable bouncers said...

This happens to everyone! The excellent way for your problem is be an optimists. Get up! Have your daily exercise like jogging, running a few rounds or even walking for a couple of minutes. I am sure you will get back to your shape! :)

Perry said...

Key of good body shape and good mental health is to find the best diet for your personal needs. Or if wanna eat everything eat it in smaller quantities. True and effective!

Suzy said...

all articles on the blog that I read are very instructive!! 8)

weight watchers coupon said...

Its really a crazy diet confession.