" CRAZY DIETS: Why Yes, I Am Giving Birth To 30 Pounds of Fat, or Dumb People Suck

Friday

Why Yes, I Am Giving Birth To 30 Pounds of Fat, or Dumb People Suck

Just a short break from the usual humor on this blog. Do note as I write, I'm about 30 lbs from my goal weight.

-------------------
It seems to happen about three times a year. It never gets easier. It always hurts. Bad. 

You see, I am one of those women who's weigh is  all situated in her stomach. Even at my heaviest, my legs and arms were thin.  What happens when a woman has a stomach? Yes, you are correct. People make assumptions. Now most people are smart enough to keep their thoughts to themselves, but sadly there hoardes of morons who think it is perfectly OK to ask a complete stranger if she is pregnant.

It has happened to me numerous times. I have reacted with nastiness, humor, honestly, and plain old silence. It never fails, though, to make me cry. Sure, I can perhaps do more crunches, but that still does  not excuse anyone of asking someone who they don't know personally, much less know offically if a woman is expecting.

So this happened again tonight at work. The cleaning woman.  I answered "no, I am fat!" and walked away to the furthest corner of our stock room to cry.  Just earlier in the day I was proud of myself for my progress, looking good, hell I was wearing a body slimmer, and apparently that didn't manner.

I waited for her to show back up and scolded her "Don't you EVER ask a woman that you do not know that question. Ever."

I was tempted to go cheat and  have some doughnuts. Emotional eater here, but I decided I wasn't going to let that fool ruin what I've worked so hard to achieve. 

Instead of sulking, I went out this evening and women, two I admire, independently, unsolicited gave me complements on how I looked. Both of them, I thanked profusely. Sure I shouldn't worry what other's think, but I'm human. Their kind words..one called me "gorgeous," negated the words of the simpleton. Still, though, part of me is still seething.

Still, I know it might happen again. I am not sure I'll be tough or not, but I am sure I am not the only one who has had this happen to, and I know other's who have had much worse weight discrimination.

In the meantime, I am going to continue to get slim and healthy, but I will never ever forget what it was like to be overweight.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

See? I'm still reading! Keep it up Betty! Stay strong! Don't let close-minded, non-educated, low-class people bring you down! Remember, they do this because THEY are REALLY the ones that need help. They're old and unfortunately only have a 10 year old mind to work with. So keep your chin up and mind and spirits, even higher and you'll see the "high road" much easier. Take care.